We’re often led to believe that everyone around us is happy, confident and carefree but if you were able to enter their minds, you’d probably find that we all have our own insecurities.
The modern generation is constantly comparing, evaluating and judging themselves against each other, and this is something which has become much easier since social media.
This behaviour can lead to destructive and critical thoughts about ourselves; we aren’t good enough, we shouldn’t try that, we’re different to everyone else.
What Causes Insecurities?
Insecurities usually stem from negative internal dialogues. If we experience painful early life experiences or negativity towards us, we tend to adopt these attitudes towards ourselves. This critical inner voice becomes more powerful when fed so the more we acknowledge these negative thoughts, the stronger they become.
The Effect of Insecurity
Unfortunately our insecurities can drastically alter our behaviours. Negative inner voices can cause us to grow shy at a party, retreat from relationships, project negatively onto others or hold back from positive opportunities.
We’re all different and we all have our own insecurities. Whether it’s work, our social life, appearance or relationships that are affected, our own mind can become our own worst enemy.
How to Overcome Insecurities
- Separate your negative inner voice from your own identity. Vocalise or write down these thoughts in the second person as though someone else was saying them.
- Try and work through the issues these thoughts expose. Do they remind you of anyone from your past? When did they first start?
- Begin to respond to your self-attacks as if you were talking to a friend. Be positive, rational and kind about your own achievements and self-worth.
- Think about how your insecurities influence your behaviours and what triggers the worst reactions.
- Make a plan to change these behaviours. Work on small steps that will negate your insecurities. Be brave and take steps towards proving your insecurities wrong.
These steps are not always easy and can cause anxiety at first. If you would like help with beating insecurities I have many years of experience in this area. Your insecurities won’t vanish overnight but a small amount of effort can lead to real positive changes in your life. Readdress the way you treat yourself and become a bright, positive and confident person.
For more information please do contact me.